Warfarin Care Clinic
Introducing the QML Pathology Warfarin Care Clinic. Let us take the hassle out of Warfarin dosing for you. Not only does QML Pathology provide exceptional testing services but we can also support referring doctors with the monitoring and management of patients undergoing warfarin therapy.
Our team of specialist pathologists, medical practitioners and health professionals make the warfarin management process more convenient for you.
Our services include:
- Contacting the patient regarding their dose in a timely manner
- Following up abnormal results with the patient and the doctor
- Reminders should patients be overdue for a blood test
- Educational and informational material for the patient to assist with their warfarin therapy
- Liaising with hospital* (post-discharge), nursing home and pharmacy staff in warfarin management.
- *When made aware of patient hospital admissions.
The Warfarin Care Clinic Charter
The Warfarin Care Clinic Charter Warfarin Charter and SMS Service pdf outlines the roles and responsibilities of all parties involved.
QML Pathology have offered the Warfarin service for over 40 years as part of our commitment to support you and your patients.
You may not be aware that there is currently no Medicare rebate, nor any other government funding, for this service. While we have been able to deliver this service at no cost to the patient in the past, from 1 November 2018 we will be introducing a service registration fee for new patients and a small annual fee for existing patients.
This will affect your patients as follows:
- Registration fee**
- Annual fee** (will apply from the following year).
- Nursing Home residents are exempt from both fees.
- Concessional patients will be charged at a reduced rate.
- Holders of a valid DVA card will not receive an account, QML Pathology will bill the DVA directly for eligible DVA card holders.
Concessional patients include:
- Anyone over the age of 65, or under the age of 18yrs
- Anyone who holds a Pension / Health Care / Commonwealth Seniors / DVA Cards
This fee will ensure we can continue to deliver this much-needed service and allow us to offer your Warfarin patients comprehensive support and peace of mind. The fee will include:
- One of our specialist pathologists monitoring the patient’s Warfarin levels.
- Access to our Warfarin Care team who are trained to deal with Warfarin dosing.
- Access, where appropriate, to Vitamin K at no further cost if required for INR reversal.
- A patient contact process for urgent changes to Warfarin doses.
- A patient contact process for overdue tests for Warfarin patients.
- Access to our Warfarin Support Group via phone and email.
Current patients within the Warfarin Clinic will be notified well prior to the 1st November, 2018 to advise them they will be charged an Annual Fee to continue the service. Those patients who do not wish to pay for the service will be advised to discuss their anticoagulation or monitoring options with their primary doctor.
Please ensure your patient is advised of these fees by having them sign the Informed Financial Consent form and returning this document with the registration request.
**Dependent on Medicare Rebate and/or subject to change without notice.
Contact Information - Health Professionals
Clinical staff can contact the Warfarin Care Clinic via:
P: 1300 795 355 (Clinical staff only)
F: 3121 4335
E: email@example.com (use for general contact information, not patient medical information)
Contact Information - Patients
Enrolled patients can contact our Warfarin Care Clinic via:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org Patients need to quote their QML Pathology reference number in the email subject line
P: 1300 661 963 during the following hours:
Monday - Friday: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
(Voicemail service available 7:00 am – 10:00 am)
Saturday: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
When contacting the Warfarin Care Clinic patients should always provide their reference number with any communications. They should also be ready to record their results and/or dosage changes, or other information. If they are due to have a blood test, patients are requested to write any new information on their request form.
Please do not send mobile text messages. We are unable to respond.